Bright candidates for the position of Prime Minister of Thailand
2 mins read

Bright candidates for the position of Prime Minister of Thailand

(Dan Tri) – The election atmosphere in Thailand is heating up every day as this Southeast Asian country will officially hold a general election on March 24 to find the next prime minister among the 68 candidates.

Prominent candidates for Thailand’s next prime minister, from left to right: Prayut Chan-o-cha, Sudarat Keyuraphan, Anutin Charnvirakul, Thanathorn Jungrungreangkit and Abhisit Vejjajiva (Photo: AFP)

Analysts have identified the 5 brightest faces to be Thailand’s prime minister for the next term.

Current Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha

From a military leader, Mr. Prayut Chan-o-cha rose to power and created the image of a leader of the people.

On social networks, Prime Minister Prayut posted a series of pictures of him being close to people, such as moments in the kitchen, taking the train to the election campaign, and smiling with children.

Sudarat Keyuraphan

Ms. Sudarat is the leading candidate representing the Pheu Thai party running in the upcoming election.

This 57-year-old politician helped found the Thai Rak Thai party, a party said to also have connections to the Shinawatra family but was recently dissolved after unexpectedly nominating the King’s sister to run for election.

When Mr. Thaksin was deposed in 2006, Ms. Sudarat was banned from participating in politics for five years.

In the upcoming election, each party is allowed to nominate up to 3 candidates.

However, these two candidates are not as attractive as those of the Thaksin and Yingluck brothers.

Anutin Charnvirakul

Mr. Anutin is the son of a construction tycoon in Thailand and was a former official in Mr. Thaksin’s administration.

Analysts say his Bhumjaithai party could become a coalition partner in the next government.

Mr. Anutin, 52, caused a political stir this year after his party unfurled banners emblazoned with poppy leaves and outlined the economic benefits for farmers after Thailand legalized the practice.

Mr. Anutin graduated from a university in the US with a degree in engineering.

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit

This 40-year-old politician presents himself as a new choice to heal the rifts in Thai politics.

As the owner of an auto parts business, Mr. Thanathorn said that, although he belongs to the wealthy group that accounts for 1% of the Thai population, he always supports the remaining 99% of the population.

Abhisit Vejjajiva

Mr. Abhisit Vejjajiva was born and raised in England and studied at the prestigious Oxford school.

This 54-year-old politician was elected prime minister in 2008. He is also the youngest prime minister in the country’s history in 60 years.

In a recent interview, he said he would not support Prime Minister Prayut and declared that his Democratic Party aims to become the core of the next government.

Minh PhuongAccording to Straits Times

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *